FOSDEM brainstorm

Mark Kretschmann markey at web.de
Sun Feb 25 18:01:42 CET 2007

On Sunday 25 February 2007 17:44, Ian Monroe wrote:
> On 2/25/07, Maximilian Kossick <maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > We talked about removing the filebrowser and replacing it by a better
> > konqueror context menu. I don't think the file browser is very useful,
> > except for moving new songs to the collection. If we make it possible to
> > access an option like "move to Amarok's collection folder" in the context
> > menu of a folder/file, we could remove the filebrowser. A problem might
> > be the support for alternative filemanagers (dolphin, nautilus, ...).
>
> I disagree with this. I still use the file browser regularly, as I
> have my music organized by genre and subgenre in folders so its how I
> browse my music (as opposed to picking out an artist or album that I
> know I want, which is when I use the collection browser). I've
> actually never used it to move new songs into the collection.
>
> The file browser is why I started using Amarok in the first place. :)
> I don't think my use case is so odd.

My view on this: If we decide to keep the "browsers" concept, then we might as
well keep the filebrowser. I also find it rather useful. If we consider that
the context browser will likely be gone, we have one less browser anyway. So
maybe we will have four browsers altogether, if media devices are integrated
in the collection browser. Now, if you remove the filebrowser as well, you
end up with just 3 browsers, and at this point one has to question the whole
concept anyway.

In mxcl's original mockup there are no browsers, but just the collection view.
Should we decide to go this way, naturally the filebrowser would have to go.

--
Mark