FOSDEM brainstorm

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Sun Feb 25 17:44:25 CET 2007

On 2/25/07, Maximilian Kossick <maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com> wrote:
> We talked about removing the filebrowser and replacing it by a better
> konqueror context menu. I don't think the file browser is very useful,
> except for moving new songs to the collection. If we make it possible to
> access an option like "move to Amarok's collection folder" in the context
> menu of a folder/file, we could remove the filebrowser. A problem might be
> the support for alternative filemanagers (dolphin, nautilus, ...).

I disagree with this. I still use the file browser regularly, as I
have my music organized by genre and subgenre in folders so its how I
browse my music (as opposed to picking out an artist or album that I
know I want, which is when I use the collection browser). I've
actually never used it to move new songs into the collection.

The file browser is why I started using Amarok in the first place. :)
I don't think my use case is so odd.

I'm not sure about making the ContextView based on scripts. Its such a
central part to Amarok, maintaining some control over seems like it
might be a good idea. Also its pretty speed-critical. I was worried
about how much flexibility we would have with scripts, but then I saw
this:
http://qtdeveloper.net/archives/2007/01/05/say-hello-to-qtscript/
And realized that we could do pretty much anything we wanted to in scripts.

I agree the other things in your notes. Alexandre has started thinking
about making Artist, Album etc. And our discussions regarding how to
reform the database came to the same sort of conclusions.

Perhaps we could have a new Meta:: namespace? So Meta::Artist,
Meta::Bundle, Meta::Album. Just a random idea. :)

-Ian