Fwd: [Amarok-devel] kross? Re: Plugins...

Shashwath T.R. trshash84 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 09:47:54 CET 2007

GMail is a moron!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Shashwath T.R. <trshash84 at gmail.com>
Date: Feb 19, 2007 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Amarok-devel] kross? Re: Plugins...
To: Mark Kretschmann <markey at web.de>

On 2/19/07, Mark Kretschmann <markey at web.de> wrote:

> Another thought that came to my mind: In light of the Windows and OSX
> ports,
> we should limit the number of allowed scripting languages (also for dbus
> scripts). Ideally, we'd only support one language, but I think that may be
>
> unrealistic. So think we should support Ruby and Python as scripting
> languages, as these two are the most popular.

Allowing Bash, PHP, etc only invites dependency hell, and makes the scripts
> less portable. I think it would be great if 3rd party scripts could run on
> all platforms.

Of course, we can't stop people from writing dbus scripts using bash or lisp
or
scheme or whatever, but in principle, I agree. All the plugins we write,
support or
bundle into Amarok will be from these languages. Ultimately, I think it
boils down
to pretty much the same situation as now.

Binary plugins are the work of the devil himself, of course, and should be
avoided
like the plague! :)

--
Shash