[Amarok-devel] kross? Re: Plugins...

Mark Kretschmann markey at web.de
Mon Feb 19 08:43:17 CET 2007

On Monday 19 February 2007 01:44, Ian Monroe wrote:
> On 2/18/07, Alexandre Oliveira <aleprjlists at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Anyway, if we intend to have plugins, there's something we need to
> > discuss about: how will we make them work?
>
> [snip]
>
> Well there's Kross. It should allow the embedding of scripts in Amarok
> and have access to a wide range of our types. With QtRuby it might be
> able to subclass Amarok widgets.

Yep, we should definitely investigate Kross.

Another thought that came to my mind: In light of the Windows and OSX ports,
we should limit the number of allowed scripting languages (also for dbus
scripts). Ideally, we'd only support one language, but I think that may be
unrealistic. So think we should support Ruby and Python as scripting
languages, as these two are the most popular.

Allowing Bash, PHP, etc only invites dependency hell, and makes the scripts
less portable. I think it would be great if 3rd party scripts could run on
all platforms.

--
Mark