amarok 1.4.7 - string freeze

Harald Sitter sitter.harald at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 01:48:45 CEST 2007

On Sunday 05 August 2007 00:36:53 Michael Skiba wrote:
> Am Samstag, 4. August 2007 22:01 schrieb Spiros Georgaras:
> > If we are concerned about the percentage of translated messages included
> > in released packages, and want to set a higher limit, it must be set
> > globally. That's all I'm saying...
>
> I agree to that, something that is very frustrating is when you work hours
> to translate things and parts of your work won't be released cause you
> still have some fuzzies in it, it's more motivating to know yup yet 30
> strings and I'm in for sure.
>
> A good translation needs time and motivation to keep the translator on
> working. And something which is very frustrating is i.e. this: You gotta
> choose between a real warm, nice and sunny weekend and a file you've to
> translate within the next two days(if you where lucky and received this
> mail early) to a specific percentage or you'll get kicked out. (I feel
> really sorry the amarok translators)
>
> Till monday is a joke! At least a week would be fair, rather 10 day.

First of all... _tagging_ is on Monday August 6, the tarball is actually to be
rolled on 8th (recently set this ... actually for you ... I just forgot to
note it anywhere).

It's 2 strings. So if we consider them as a 2 minutes job (probably a bit more
since SVN current lags slightly), and work according to the Getting Things
Done princips, it gotta be done right now.

But, with Amarok the problem in general is that the developers want to have as
much time as possible to added/edit stuff (though stable was also announced
to be string stable as well), so I try to make the freeze time depend on the
amount of strings changed, and I personally think that 4 days (original the
mail should have reached you on friday) is enough to find the 2 minutes to
translate them.

Anyway, usually I send out an annoucement with release milestone dates (i.e.
string freeze, tagging, packaging, release date), I probably can just CC this
list as well. Alternately or in addition I might be able to convice the devs
to start a soft freeze (no changes if not necessary) one week before the
actual freeze starts.

Also, something I wanted to note: I already decided (way before development
begun) to ensure you _at least_ 3 weeks freeze before Amarok 2.0.0. Actually
I would try to get you _at least_ 6 in case we release the same day as KDE
(which isn't very likely right now). Just to mark it once and for all: we
don't want to discourage you, put any extra pressure on you, dictat your
live, restrcit your real lifes and we care about our users, that's why we
care that they get the best possible solution. Everyone who doesn't want to
understand this is (as Linus would put it) stupid and ugly (personal
opinion).

I have to tell you, I'm quite pissed, cause I usually put a lot of effort in
getting the perfect balance of development and localization work (isn't
always perfec though). Still it's (for some of you guys) _never_ enough.

Actually I consider to leave everything to chance, maybe someone else from the
team notifies you about releases, maybe not.

I see no reason for taking this continuing 'you're a******* and devils' any
longer.

--
Harald