Feedback to the Dot story

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 14:25:18 UTC 2013

On Thursday 05 September 2013, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> I know that's not the way it works in FOSS: We release early versions
> into the public to get feedback from a wide range of people. That's
> absolutely okay, but calling it a "polished product" instead of an early
> version still does not make sense to me.
> It's not my call, but it isn't yours, either. If the majority of the
> team feels that PA4 is a polished product (which may very well be the
> case), then I have to bow to that majority, of course.

there are two completely different things here:
obvious problems still there (like we all know the browser has its problems,
due to technical limitations)

and the problems generated by the "intuitiveness" or not...
if we just copied android or iphone ui i bet we wouldn't have most of those
problems in the testing.. but would have been the best way to go? probably
not, and for sure not much interesting.

on the other hand, if an iphone was given to those students in 2006 or so, the
results wouldn't have been much different (no, they wouldn't:p)

and i don't think either videos, interactive tutorials or such would help much
(partly because nowdays many seeing a tablet have immediately a very precise
mental model in how should work, for the good or the bad)

so is this for everybody? of course not
is perfect? of course not, as noted android 1.0 was quite utterly far from
perfection as well
Is for who isn't afraid to try new things and stumble in unexpected stuff, but
that doesn't mean (just) developers and deoesn't mean (just) geeks and doesn't
mean beta testers
a guitar is also a thing not for everybody, but luckily that is not a problem.