Partners in bodega

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 19 11:59:26 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 08:58:53 Wolfgang Romey wrote:
> Allthough I now could do what i wanted in the warehouse, I still wonder, why
> it has to work that way.
> To add my test user warehouse at ... to the partner wolfgang.romey at web.de I had
> to log in as hier at wolfgangromey.de and add warehozse at akl-woro.de to the
> peoples list of wolfgang.romey at web.de. So when  someone seeks a partner, he
> has to know someone, who has a partner and can add him to the peoples list
> of his partner. Strange.

Again, partners are not a social network for people. They are a way for people
and the warehouse to represent themselves to each other.

Nobody “seeks a partner”. People create partners that reflect organizational
structure that exists outside of the market in the real world.

In other words:

Company X has John, Matthias and Lucy as employees. John creates the Company X
partner and adds Matthias and Lucy to it.

Community Y has Susan, Lisa and Beat as members. Susan creates the Community Y
partner and adds Lisa and Beat to it.

The warehouse then knows who Company X and Community Y is.

> I expected, that there would be a way, that wolfgang.romey at web.de could do
> it himself.

This would lead to chaos. Imagine if you could join my company’s partner and
start publishing content. This simply doesn’t work. Joining a partner
therefore requires some approval process.

During the design phase, I considered the following workflow:

* Susan creates partner XYZ
* Georg requests to become a member of partner XYZ
* Susan gets a notification of this request and accepts or denies the request

The alternative approach is that Susan simply knows what Georg’s email is and
adds him directly. This is what Bodega does now, in fact. The difference is
that Georg must contact Susan outside of Bodega to request being added ..
which is something every organization already has the ability to do outside of
Bodega.