Plasma Active

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 28 08:56:38 UTC 2013

Hi Holger,

The mailing list language is English, so I hope you'll forgive me for
responding in English :)

On Monday, May 27, 2013 21:08:22 Holger Eder wrote:
>  Daher sollte dies auch einen stabilen Debian unterbau bekommen.

We have sponsored packaging of KDE SC 4.10 for Debian 7 (will appear in
backports) and on top of this we will be producing installable Plasma Active
packages. So this is coming.

> Super wäre auch noch eine Vermischung, wenn keine Tastatur angeschlossen
> ist, der Active Desktop, anders auswahlmäßig dann standart oder netbook.

Now you are asking for things no other OS currently can do :) But that's ok:
we're working on exactly this set of features for Plasma Workspaces 2, which a
future release of Plasma Active will be based on.

As for things like bluetooth, we do have bluetooth support from Bluedevil,
though it comes down to drivers and most importantly user testing. You can
help there! :)

GPS: similarly, we have Marble that can and does use GPS where available, but
it requires drivers for the device and user testing. Again, you can help there
:)

Rotation: we have a basic rotation system for Plasma Active 4. It's not
perfect, however; we need to move off of X11 for the base graphics system. When
we move to Wayland, something we are working on right now, then we can
implement a proper rotation system. Don't fear: X11 *applications* will still
work in such an environment just fine.

Cheers ..