Testing PA4 on Gentoo Linux

Matthias Heizmann matthias at heizmann.name
Mon Mar 4 00:42:55 UTC 2013

Hi,

I would like to test PA4 on Gentoo Linux.

1. First, I installed KDE SC 4.10.

2. I wrote ebuilds (packages in Gentoo Linux) for the mobile versions of the
KDE PIM applications. These mobile applications work fine. Great!

3. I wrote ebuilds (in fact, modified ebuilds from the kde portage overlay)
that install the following projects from git://anongit.kde.org/
bodega-client
contour
declarative-plasmoids
plasma-active-maliit
plasma-mobile
plasma-mobile-config
share-like-connect
startactive

4. I installed the active-development/master version of kde-runtime
(in fact in Gentoo kde-runtime is split in 36 packages, I installed these 36
using the sources of the branch from the repository)

5. I added KWIN_PLASMA_ACTIVE=ON to the cmake arguments of kde-workspace.

Unfortunately, Plasma Active is not yet running properly. If I start "KDE
Plasma Workspace" in KDM, then plasma-desktop is started. After starting
plasma-device afterwards there are some issues. E.g.,
- Windows do not appear in fullscreen, but in about 640xXXX in the upper right
corner of the screen.
- Windows never get the focus
- Windows are stay above main bar and the Application-Launcher
- dragging down the main bar (to see the Application-Launcher) does not always
work

What did I miss in my installation?

The documentation says:
http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Development#Plasma_Active_Core_Development
> For building Plasma Active from master, you need the "active-
> development/4.7" or "active-development/master" branches from kdelibs and
> kde-runtime.
I guess this information is partly outdated, because I found these branches
only for kde-runtime not for kdelibs.

Do I have to modify something else?
Do I have to modify /etc/X11/Sessions/KDE-4 or /usr/bin/startkde?
Do I have to execute /usr/bin/startactive somewhere?

Any hints and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Matthias