GSOC Kontact Touch

Björn Balazs bjoern.balazs at user-prompt.com
Tue Feb 26 18:50:59 UTC 2013

Hi all,

as I have defined most of the UI concepts in Kontact Touch I
would be willing to support any project as good as I can.

There are lots of ideas that have not been realized during the
initial project. I would love to see some more to come real!

So my offer to Thomas - I would support your co-mentorship :)

Cheers,
Björn

Am Dienstag, 26. Februar 2013, 19:08:48 schrieb Thomas
Pfeiffer:
wrote:
> > I'd like to participate in GSOC 2013.  This year’s theme
is "KDE++ aka
> > polish everything" so Kontact Touch seems to be a good
candidate in my
> > eyes.
>
> Absolutely! Kontact Touch is one of our strong points
functionality-wise,
> but the UI clearly needs a major face lift for it to become
a prime Plasma
> Active citizen. So yes, it is a great candidate for
polishing!

> > Now I am looking for a mentor and the right scope for my
project. I want
> > do mostly UI work. Would porting things over to plasma-qml
components  be
> > good project?
>
> Since this is work which will have a major impact on Plasma
Active's overall
> user experience, I'd like to be a co-mentor for the
UX/usability
> perspective of things. I guess the primary mentor for a GSoC
project needs
> to know more about the code, though, so we'll still need a
developer as
> mentor.
> > I am not sure how much work that will be and if I can
manage to port every
> > application of the suite in the given time. So maybe just
focus on one or
> > two?
>
> As Aaron already wrote: Yes, you'll definitely have to focus
on some part of
> Kontact Touch, you can't do it all in one project.
>
> > The UI seems to be designed with a smaller form factor in
mind. Is it
> > supposed to stay this way or am I free to experiment and
make it more
> > suitable for tablet use?
>
> It is not supposed to stay this way and you are free to
experiment, but