GSOC Kontact Touch

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Feb 26 18:08:48 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 26 February 2013 17:12:43 Michael Bohlender wrote:
> I'd like to participate in GSOC 2013.  This year’s theme is "KDE++ aka
> polish everything" so Kontact Touch seems to be a good candidate in my
> eyes.

Absolutely! Kontact Touch is one of our strong points functionality-wise, but
the UI clearly needs a major face lift for it to become a prime Plasma Active
citizen. So yes, it is a great candidate for polishing!

> Now I am looking for a mentor and the right scope for my project. I want to
> do mostly UI work. Would porting things over to plasma-qml components  be a
> good project?

Since this is work which will have a major impact on Plasma Active's overall
user experience, I'd like to be a co-mentor for the UX/usability perspective
of things. I guess the primary mentor for a GSoC project needs to know more
about the code, though, so we'll still need a developer as mentor.

> I am not sure how much work that will be and if I can manage to port every
> application of the suite in the given time. So maybe just focus on one or
> two?

As Aaron already wrote: Yes, you'll definitely have to focus on some part of
Kontact Touch, you can't do it all in one project.

> The UI seems to be designed with a smaller form factor in mind. Is it
> supposed to stay this way or am I free to experiment and make it more
> suitable for tablet use?

It is not supposed to stay this way and you are free to experiment, but since
you'll likely define some new standards with this, I'd like to co-mentor you to
keep an eye on things.