User Feedback Plasma Active On Nexus 7

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 20 13:05:42 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 22:53:41 Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
> 1. You need to enter password (when the tablet wakes up from sleep),
> it's not needed.

very odd; i don't have that on PA installs here: i just get the touchlock
screen that is activated should be the one with the nice little draggable lock
icon. do you get that *and* a password dialog?

> 2. If you are using an app which needs keyboard, Kwrite, and then you
> pull the top bar to access applications the keyboard doesn't disappear
> and you can't do anything [IMG 1]

Marco already fixed this issue; either this is Nexus 7 specific or the Nexus
images are using a release with this problem still evident?

> 3. Keyboard should automatically dissapear when not needed.

if you click off of a text area, it should. it does here, but then i'm not
using the Nexus 7 image :/

> 4. Keyboard is way too small and it not at all efficient to do some
> decent typing (coming from a writer). I would hit the space key everytime.

yeah, we've done some work to increase the ergonomics of the keyboard. we'll
have another swipe at this before PA4 though.

> 5. If you are tying long text (or running commands in the terminal) the
> keyboard hides the text, the text should stay above the keyboard. [IMG 2]

you can flick the keyboard up to the top of the screen. for applications which
support notification of where the input is happening (part of the IM
facilities), we will be able to move the keyboard automatically. i don't
believe this is actually hooked up to the QML keyboard at this point, but
maliit does at least support it.

> 6. Bluetooth is not working. I have USB host but USB Keyboad is also not
> detected.

sounds like issues with the device adaptation. the guys working on this
adaptation may be able to help you however.

> 7. Keyboard doesn't work in Marbel/Browser. When Kate is opened it
> doesn't open the keyboard.

Marble/Browser? do you mean Marble and the Web Browser? or a browser somewhere
in Marble? in any case, if these applications are not calling up the keyboard,
it is because they are using custom text areas and not notifying the IM system
when they have focus. i fixed this already in applications such as konsole, and
i thought i fixed this also in katepart ..

> 8. When playing media there is no option to go back to file manager from
> where I access the media to play the next clip or song.

is this with bangarang or Plasma Media Center?

> 9. Menu items in apps like Kwrite are too small to be accessed. I don't
> think its convinient to use.

kwrite is not designed for touch. so .. yes. :)

though with the appmenu support in 4.10 we can perhaps do something about that
now.