User Feedback Plasma Active On Nexus 7

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Feb 20 13:38:03 UTC 2013

On 20.02.2013 14:05, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 22:53:41 Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
>> 1. You need to enter password (when the tablet wakes up from sleep),
>> it's not needed.
>
> very odd; i don't have that on PA installs here: i just get the touchlock
> screen that is activated should be the one with the nice little draggable lock
> icon. do you get that *and* a password dialog?

The password is asked on each wakeup if a kwallet password is set and
the WPA key is stored in kwallet.
This is definitely something we have to find a solution for. I used to
set a kwallet password on PA as well because the kwallet setup dialog
tells me that an empty password is unsafe and makes it look as if it
causes passwords to be saved unencryptedly. We need to find a solution
that assures users that their passwords are securely stored but does not
require entering a password on each wakeup, because that is really annoying.

>> 2. If you are using an app which needs keyboard, Kwrite, and then you
>> pull the top bar to access applications the keyboard doesn't disappear
>> and you can't do anything [IMG 1]
>
> Marco already fixed this issue; either this is Nexus 7 specific or the Nexus
> images are using a release with this problem still evident?

Swapnil uses an image that uses the Testing repos, which currently are
waaaaaaaaay outdated. That's the cause of many of his problems. I don't
know if a Devel image for Nexus 7 exists.

>> 3. Keyboard should automatically dissapear when not needed.
>
> if you click off of a text area, it should. it does here, but then i'm not
> using the Nexus 7 image :/

See above.

>> 4. Keyboard is way too small and it not at all efficient to do some
>> decent typing (coming from a writer). I would hit the space key everytime.
>
> yeah, we've done some work to increase the ergonomics of the keyboard. we'll
> have another swipe at this before PA4 though.

Yes, we definitely need to work on that again before release. The layout
is now _way_ better than before, but the keyboard is much too small
overall and some more things could be optimized.

>> 7. Keyboard doesn't work in Marbel/Browser. When Kate is opened it
>> doesn't open the keyboard.
>
> Marble/Browser? do you mean Marble and the Web Browser? or a browser somewhere
> in Marble? in any case, if these applications are not calling up the keyboard,
> it is because they are using custom text areas and not notifying the IM system
> when they have focus. i fixed this already in applications such as konsole, and
> i thought i fixed this also in katepart ..

Probably just because of the outdated packages.

>> 8. When playing media there is no option to go back to file manager from
>> where I access the media to play the next clip or song.
>
> is this with bangarang or Plasma Media Center?

In the video, bangarang was used.
With PMC it would be the same, though. There is no "Back to Files"
button as in Images in there, so once it's started, you have to use its
own media browser.

>> 9. Menu items in apps like Kwrite are too small to be accessed. I don't
>> think its convinient to use.
>
> kwrite is not designed for touch. so .. yes. :)
>
> though with the appmenu support in 4.10 we can perhaps do something about that
> now.

Yes, that's something that came up a long time ago on this list already:
Offering a global, touch-optimized menu. I think Active applications
should work without menus, but it would be interesting for legacy
applications.