Packaging of Calligra for PA

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sun Feb 17 13:43:03 UTC 2013

Am Sonntag, 17. Februar 2013, 13:56:58 schrieb Maurice de la Ferté:
> On 17.02.2013 02:02, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> >>
> >> Best practice is
> >> - 'osc branch Project:KDE:Devel calligra'
> >> - checkout local copy of branched package
> >> - making changes
> >> - building local
> >> - pushing changes
> >> - building remote
> >> - reviewing rpmlint messages in logs
> >> - adding branching repos to test machine
> >> - installing branching packages on test machine
> >> - 'osc submitrequest <branched project> calligra Project:KDE:Devel'
> >> - asking for review on #active
> >
> > First trivial request is up, seems it works all for me :)
>
> Request is applied :)

\o/

Okay, now that this is established I can get to serious changes :)

Nothing in the pipe yet, but already thinking about how to best fix the
incomplete registering for all supported mimetypes within the Calligra build
system. Too late for 2.6.1, but than packagers can always still patch the
released stuff ;)

Next questions:
Can I reuse that branch I created somehow?
How do I ideally merge the changes from the official calligra package?
Any request is just a diff between the branch to the official package, or?

> >> I never tried to install PA into Mer SDK so I don't know, but I fear it
> >> does not work.
> >
> > Too bad :/ Especially as the ExoPC dies for me every few times, incl.
> > broken rpm database now and then. Sucks :(
> > (yes, happened also before I started to mess with packaging ;) )
> >
> > Is that common behaviour? Or is my ExoPC broken?
>
> Ouch, for me it sounds like a broken device too. I'm using the following
> images
> installed in VirtualBox and never faced a broken rpm database, it makes a
> robust impression to me:
> http://share.basyskom.com/plasma-active/deployment/wetab-exopc/tablet/mer/de
> vel/weekly/
>
> Therefor I followed the description on following URL with enable the
> mous cursor: http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Installation#Virtual_Box
>
> Also I changed the /usr/share/kde4/config/kwinactiverc from 'Backend=OpenGL'
> to 'Backend=XRender' to make compositing working again. I used 'vim' from
> 'konsole'
> for editing. Please note, do not click into the black window area
> otherwise you will
> get the virtual keyboard which will stuck till reboot by broken compositing.

Okay, thanks for the tip, possibly will have to change to that then if that
problem does not stop to happen.

> If you are wondering why the desktop icons for calligra are missing,
> they are
> blacklisted inside /usr/share/kde4/config/active-blacklistrc and get
> visible after
> removing 'sheets,words,stage,calligramobile' from it (maybe restart is
> needed).
> I don't know why they are blacklisted, because sheets, words and stage makes
> a very useful impression to me. The calligramobile looks a bit broken
> because
> I'm not able to open any document by choosing with it.

>From what I understood from the recent discussion that is by purpose, i.e. by
design of Plasma Active. CalligraActive should only be invoked as handler on
given files, not offer a filedialog to select a file itself. The full desktop
programs Sheets, Stage & Words should not be launched or even available on
PlasmaActive.

But that is out of my playing field, topic for the PlasmaActive UX designers
and Shantanu :) I just care for proper packaging.

Which means one of the next steps would be also extending the build system to
be able to just build the Sheets, Stage & Words parts that are used by
CalligraActive, but not also the desktop program shells. At least so far I
understood that was matching the Active idea.

Cheers
Friedrich