[mer-general] fixed Mer release on OBS for Plasma Active 3

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 09:26:25 UTC 2012

On Thursday 06 September 2012, Marko Saukko wrote:
> On 09/06/2012 08:41 PM, Marco Martin wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to discuss and request the following thing:
> > with Plasma Active we want to have a release shortly, around week 38.
> > the release should be a system pretty much frozen modulo just small
> > bugfixes for its lifecycle.
>
> What will be the expected lifecycle for this release?

i think around 6 months.
actually the time to transition to a more rolling "always releasable" state,
after which it will work in a way more similar to Mer

> > it will have its own repo on obs for the kde related bits.
> > but something that would be really useful that i already briefly talked
> > with some of you guys, is having on OBS a fixed release of Mer, ideally
> > the current one.
>
> We had static release already at some point there (can't recall why) so
> I would think that creating new one would be relatively simple.

ok, that's nice :)
i wonder how much is scalable.. may be common that a device may ask for a
fixed release like that?

> > the problem comes from the fact that Project:KDE:Devel builds on top of
> > CE:UX:PlasmaActive (0 packages now, so not a problem) that in turn is on
> > top of CE:MW:PlasmaActive, that depends from  CE:MW:Shared and finally
> > to Mer:Core
>
> CE:UX:PlasmaActive we should remove as it has never been used was extra
> already when done. Also I would suggest that CE:MW:PlasmaActive would be
> merged to Project:KDE:Devel as PlasmaActive is responsible of
> maintaining those bits. Also the size of mw:pa has gone down since it
> was originally done.

yeah, i'm fine with merging CE:MW:PlasmaActive

maybe merge with Project:KDE:Mer_Extras that still exists? i would prefer to
have a repo of dependencies separed from the repo ofthe kde packages
btw has only 17 packages enabled now, so that should be cleaned up a lot as
well.
none of those packages are needed for Nemo? if so i may start to clean the
disabled ones.
(then i can manage the resulting list of packages, hoping it'll become smaller
and smaller ;)

> After these there is only Mer, Nemo:MW:Shared and Project:KDE:Devel
> left. We could setup a copy of those projects if you want with the
> current content.

yeah, a copy of Nemo:MW:Shared would be good as well

> e.g. plasmaactive:mw (stuff from ce:mw:shared) and plasmaactive:ux
> (stuff from project:kde:devel & ce:mw:plasmaactive) that compile against
> the static release of Mer?
>
> Maybe not a perfect solution but I would think it works and is more or
> less doable with the given timeframe.

yeah, sounds good