Calligra Active's main screen

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 09:07:12 UTC 2012

On Monday 08 October 2012, Inge Wallin wrote:

> This is the second time I read this.  To be honest, I haven't checked the
> looks of it since my Linux has too old libraries to compile Calligra Active
> so I can't check how bad it is.
>
> But I'm sure that Shantanu and Sujith would love to have some help to
> design a better main screen. Especially since from what I hear and see in
> the latest blog the rest of it is pretty awesome. I'd hate to see Calligra
> Active pushed away from visibility because of a small thing like this.

here we have two requirements that seems to be one against the other, and at
the moment kindof are:
* have a single unified experience in finding, browsing and opening files
* have visibility for the individual projects that can view and edit a certain
kind of file, not only to recognize an effort, but also to be able to for
instance a project to produce an alternative component for some kind of files
"you have x by default to manage your y files, get z from the addons store and
your experience will be so much better"

I think that is mostly a design problem, the two things are not really against
each other, in the end apps should either reuse the file browser as a
component (still figuring out how to do that) or be able to provide custom
components (and artwork) for the file browser when browsing the files of type
x.
or other ideas as well.