marked up webwords for PA3

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 01:06:22 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 04 October 2012 14:54:40 Carl Symons wrote:
>> attached. With track changes turned on.
>>
>> The announcement text has also been reviewed and edited.
>> https://promo.notes.kde.org/84
>
> Great text overall!
> Just one comment on the webwords and one on the announcement:
>
> - The webwords have a whole paragraph on recommendations, which are simply not
> included in PA3. Tracking of user behavior is there, but it currently isn't
> used anywhere (or is there a place I missed) because the recommendation
> overlay was deactivated. People looking for the recommendations would be in
> for a big disappointment, so I'm not sure if we should mention them.

It should come out. However, I just looked at the PA3 RC. It has the
recommendation tab, but perhaps it doesn't really do anything. If that
is the case, then the write up should be changed.

> - I still don't think we should market Calligra Active in the announcement
> like it's a full-fledged office suite. It is an office document _viewer_ (with
> great compatibility for all kinds of office formats), no more, no less. Sure
> we're not exactly lying because we don't mention editing explicitly, but I
> still think that people reading this announcement would expect editing
> capabilities and think something is broken when they start Calligra Active and
> find no way to create or edit documents. Calligra Active's badly designed home
> screen will only add to the confusion because it looks as if you could create
> documents there, but you can't.
>
> I'm not a marketer so I don't know how much "over-hyping" is adequate,

none.

Re: featuring Calligra Active in the announcement...
The announcement certainly gave me the impression that it is a full
office suite..."Calligra Active provides wordprocessor, spreadsheet,
presentation and several other applications geared towards
professional, as well as personal use."

Just now playing with the latest version...Calligra Words, Sheets and
Stage are in the launcher. As are Calligra Active and Mobile. Someone
who's familiar with the use of these in Plasma Active should say how
well they work with only a touch interface.

No hype please. Not sometime down the road. What can they do now for users?

We should under-promise and over-deliver.

I just
> fear disappointed and angry users who don't get what they were promised. PA3
> is awesome with what it actually _can_ do, I don't think we should advertise
> things it can't.

This is correct. I agree completely, although I haven't explored all
the possibilities so I don't know the extent of awesome. I have not
used the Calligra apps for more than just messing around. And Calligra
Active for viewing documents works well.

Let me know what the scoop is and I'll rewrite it.

Carl