Drawer HIG - please comment

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed May 30 15:16:39 UTC 2012

On 29.05.2012 10:17, Felix Michel wrote:
> Hi guys,

Hi Felix,

> my name is Felix and i am just following this list because i am really
> interested and exited about all the development around plasma active.

:)

> I really like the drawers and the explanation. I was just thinking about a
> left to right distinction between the overlap and the split drawer. My idea is
> that the split drawer will be dragged from the right to the left and that the
> overlap drawer will be dragged from the left to the right. This way an
> application could have the additional tools available and in the same time a
> user could just pull the overlap to get some other stuff he needs!

Thanks for sharing your idea (and sorry for not answering sooner)! It certainly
is worth considering. The big obstacle I currently see for it is that I'm
considering making the menu-"flap" (as the developers who created it call it)
that is used in Kontact Touch a regular element as well. That flap is pulled in
from the left side, so it would collide with the overlay drawer than.
We have not yet decided if we want it as a standard mechanism, but if we do, I
think it would make sense to keep the overlay drawer on the right, because I
think that an application having both a menu flap and drawers is more likely
than an application having both kinds of drawers but no menu flap. Plus the
drawers are more similar to each other than they are to the menu flap, so having
them on the same side would make sense.

> I really like all the great ideas around plasma active and just wanted to
> share another one.

Thanks again, ideas are always welcome!