merging mailing lists

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 29 12:08:26 UTC 2012

hi all ...

used for, i have begun wondering if it might make sense to merge the two
lists.

pros:

* many of the topics discussed here are relevant to the other workspaces
(desktop, netbook, ..) and vice versa. this is happening more rather than less
as we move forward. examples: QML tooltips are being discussed on plasma-
devel; QML HIG is being discussed here; private activities is discussed here;
system settings related issues are being discussed on plasma-devel while
active settings is discussed here (missing opportunities for collaboration /
consistency?); accounts system will likely be discussed on plasma-devel,
though that's critical to active; we work on things like the activity switcher
here, and that's something that should be harmonized into desktop/netbook.

* there are few topics discussed on either mailing list that would not be
completely off-topic for the other mailing list

* most of us are both lists already

* the traffic on each list is not too much, and the signal-to-noise ratio is
very high on both

cons:

* we'd lose a mailing list to discuss active specific things; the main things
this would impact are things like discussion of the applications which are
more tightly bound on plasma active than in plasma desktop. traffic about this
is pretty low, and if we feel the need we can either start a mailing list for
the applications or re-use this one for that purpose

* bugs would need to go to another mailing list, as that is our policy on
plasma-devel (we have a plasma-bugs list for that); this may require some
adjustments in work flow for people

what are your thoughts? worth doing? would it be too much hassle for you?
would it make you drop off the mailing list? woudl it make you happier? etc..