Starting with Plasma Active development

Osmo Antero osmoma at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 12:34:14 UTC 2012

Hello,
I want to develope a small widget for the Plasma Active Desktop that is to
be used in tablets (and notebooks).

Because I have a lot of experience with Ubuntu/GTK so decided to install
the 32bit Kubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric) desktop.

I also found a PPA (Private Package Archive) that I added to my
Kubuntu-system.
Ref: https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-active/+archive/ppa

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-active/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-mobile plasma-mobile

This PPA seems to provide these executables
plasma-desktop
plasma-mobile
plasma-netbook

Eg. I can start the plasma-netbook by typing
$ plasma-netbook --nodesktop --opengl
$ pkill plasma

I this the right way to start with the coding of plasma widgets?
>From the documentation I understand that Plasma Active Widgets are written
with Javascript and QT/QML.

Can you give me your comments and it would be nice to have some easy
Javascript-examples with QML files.

Most kindly
 Moma Antero
 www.futuredesktop.org