Starting with Plasma Active development

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 22 12:46:49 UTC 2012

On Thursday, March 22, 2012 13:34:14 Osmo Antero wrote:
> This PPA seems to provide these executables

there should also be a plasma-device that gives you the tablet UI

> I this the right way to start with the coding of plasma widgets?

it's one way :) many of us test our plasmoids in plasmoidviewer (ships with
kde-workspace, which also includes KDE Plasma Desktop)

> >From the documentation I understand that Plasma Active Widgets are written
>
> with Javascript and QT/QML.

that's where we put our focus these days, yes. in some cases, C++ is necessary
to expose certain system features, often through DataEngines.

> Can you give me your comments and it would be nice to have some easy
> Javascript-examples with QML files.

the KDE Examples repository contains a number of examples:

	https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdeexamples/repository

and there are some tutorials as well on Techbase

	http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma

and API docs for the QML extensions and components:

	http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma/QML/API
	http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/plasma-qml-apidocs/

if you have any specific questions as you go, feel free to ask them here or on
irc.freenode.net in #plasma or #active ...

cheers :)