NetworkManagement, was Re: Task Proposal: base system working Mer setup

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Jan 20 11:44:17 UTC 2012

On Friday, January 20, 2012 12:27:07 Lamarque V. Souza wrote:
>         You mean uses qwidget for almost all configuration stuff. There are
> 46 .ui files in Plasma NM source code, that does not include the Mobile
> Connection Wizard, which does not use .ui files at all and the plasmoid
> itself. Porting it to QML is a huge task, I need a lot of help, that is
> why I decided to improve the current plasmoid instead of porting it. That
> way I would not need to reimplement all the configuration dialogs.

That's because the current NM UI wants to do everything, and expose pretty
much every possible setting to the user. That comes at the expense of
usability (too many options, too many dialogues), and at the expense of
maintainability (who's gonna port 46 files to QML?).

Taking a step back, I don't think that all of this is necessary for something
that has a fairly simple role. Basically, all you need to do is choose a
network to connect to, and possibly provide a password. Forgetting a known
connection would be needed, and possibly means to share your connection. This
would likely cover 99% of all likely usecases.

Anything more complex than the above can easily be delegated to the existing
UI, using a KCM or whatever.
--
sebas