NetworkManagement, was Re: Task Proposal: base system working Mer setup

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Jan 20 11:52:24 UTC 2012

> Taking a step back, I don't think that all of this is necessary for
something
> that has a fairly simple role. Basically, all you need to do is choose a
> network to connect to, and possibly provide a password. Forgetting a
known
> connection would be needed, and possibly means to share your connection.
> This
> would likely cover 99% of all likely usecases.

+1.
People want to get their device online with as few steps as possible, and
that's it.
The current conman UI actually does a pretty good job at that, apart from
the
missing 3G, so not much more than that is needed.
The whole Plasma NM complexity is too much for 99% of mobile users.

> Anything more complex than the above can easily be delegated to the
existing
> UI, using a KCM or whatever.

+1. VPN for example is not necessary at all for the vast majority of
users,
but is mission critical for many business users. So we should offer it,
but not
invest too much work in it.