Task Proposal: base system working Mer setup

Lamarque V. Souza lamarque at kde.org
Fri Jan 20 11:27:07 UTC 2012

Em Friday 20 January 2012, Marco Martin escreveu:
> On Friday 20 January 2012, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Friday, January 20, 2012 11:02:46 Marco Martin wrote:
> > > * missing qtmediakit, qml connman bindings
> >
> > it would be fantastic if we could get networkmanager on Mer and dump
> > connman altogether. i don't know who will be using / maintaining connman
> > going forward, so ....
>
> yes, i think is the more future proof thing as well.
> even tough in this case i would really love to see a qml port (the current
> one even uses qwidget dialogs for some things)

	You mean uses qwidget for almost all configuration stuff. There are 46
.ui files in Plasma NM source code, that does not include the Mobile
Connection Wizard, which does not use .ui files at all and the plasmoid
itself. Porting it to QML is a huge task, I need a lot of help, that is why I
decided to improve the current plasmoid instead of porting it. That way I
would not need to reimplement all the configuration dialogs.

	Besides the UI, porting to QML will also require a lot of work in the
backend to make the partially implemented dataengine to really work.

	NetworkManager supports a lot of details for each connection and the
number of options raises at each release. The options are just not being
implemented in Plasma NM because most of the time they are not very important
(yet), but options like IPv6 is completely non-tested and some VPN
configurations are still missing. They may not be very important now or for
PA, but there are users already asking for them.

> connman shouldn't be treated too much for the immediate future since is
> part of the partial sdk that tizen released right now but we have to
> maintain anyways the qml bindings and given their track of record i wonder
> how many months the successor of tizen is away :p
>
> just to keep in mind that having networkmanager ported wouldn't be the end
> of the job but would be start of a longer term plan to have a new ui

	I hope it also means I am going to get substantial help too.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
KDE's Network Management maintainer