Automated tests

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Jan 16 17:22:07 UTC 2012

On Friday 13 January 2012 16:37:37 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi all,
> I don't know how well the frameworks and technologies we use are suited
> for automated tests (yet), but
> if they are not, they should be improved in that respect, right?
Answering that for KWin (which is not Active specific). Our current test
coverage is 0.0 %. It is hardly possible to test a window manager and/or
compositor. It also has an old codebase (has been in development for more than
12 years) from a time when nobody cared about unit testing. So we face the
problem of the later the more difficult it is to test.
> So, what are your plans for this?
My plans for KWin are to use this years GSoC slot for setting up an automated
test framework using our scripting API and xephyr. This could be used to test
window manager but not compositor. Given that I have my own CI server for
KWin, the tests would be run after every commit.

Cheers
Martin