Activites in Plasma Desktop vs. Activities in Plasma Active

Ivan Cukic ivan.cukic at kde.org
Mon Jan 9 16:59:21 UTC 2012

> "as an environment specifically optimized for a *type* of
> project/task/etc.".

That is simply not true. Less simply, it shouldn't be true :)

It is true that PD and standard KDE applications don't expose any
resource/document related features of activities yet, but that doesn't
mean you can't make them focussed on a project/task/etc. but on a project
type.

Currently, I have 5 different development activities, all C++/Qt
development, but still different activities.

The main issue (from my pov) is that activities are quite an abstract
concept that everybody can understand differently. If you ask me, there is
nothing different in them when PA and PD are compared - it is just that UI
is more resource oriented in PA - aka it is easier to add documents to the
desktop than in PD. (which is quite strange that we don't have something
like that on the desktop :) )

So, my conclusion (and I think it is a more or less a common idea) is that
when things prove to be useful in PA, those will be introduced in PD as
well. For example, one awesome thing that should be in PD when enough apps
start supporting it is Share-Like-Connect.

Cheerio :)

--
I don't really trust a sane person.
  -- Lyle Alzado