Settings Human Interface Guidelines first draft online

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun Jan 1 18:55:10 UTC 2012

On Sunday 01 January 2012 14:06:01 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Two things strike me during a second read:
>
> - The sliding switch still toggles when just tapped, so the different given
> ("harder to toggle by accident") doesn't make much sense with our current
> implementation.

Oh, I didn't know that (it does not have the "tap" affordance, but the "slide"
affordance, so it's not the intuitive interaction). And it shouldn't do that
imo. Could this be changed and a checkbox for non-intrusive options be
introduced? I think both widgets have their purpose. Btw, Meego has both as
well, for the same purposes. See
https://meego.com/sites/all/files/users/admin/meego_touch_ui_v1.2.pdf Page 55.
Okay, Meego allows tapping on the toggles as well, but that does not seem to
make sense to me.

> - Selection widget needs further specification: For timezone and NTP server
> settings, we use a list in a dialog, but we'd need clearer instructions
> here: how to dismiss, how to confirm, what happens when the dialog loses
> focus, etc. As soon as these are specified in more detail, we can see about
> integrating these directly with the components, if possible.

Yes. I just put [selection widget] in there as a placeholder because it's not
defined yet.
As already stated in my suggestions for the current settings modules, I'd
suggest the following:
- A list in a dialog with a search field (like the current timezone picker)
- Confirmed by selecting a list entry
- Dismissed by tapping outside the dialog
- Dialog closes when it loses focus
If you guys are okay with that, I'll put it in the HIG and I'm all for making
this a common component.

Cheers,
Thomas