Settings Human Interface Guidelines first draft online

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Jan 1 13:06:01 UTC 2012

> A bit more detail, such as 'use this component, laid out like this, labeled
> like that for this kind of settings", so we don't end up with all kinds of
> creative ways of putting together UI. As we grow more users, we can think
> about creating composite components for recurring things, maybe even data-
> driven.)

Two things strike me during a second read:

- The sliding switch still toggles when just tapped, so the different given
("harder to toggle by accident") doesn't make much sense with our current
implementation.

- Selection widget needs further specification: For timezone and NTP server
settings, we use a list in a dialog, but we'd need clearer instructions here:
how to dismiss, how to confirm, what happens when the dialog loses focus, etc.
As soon as these are specified in more detail, we can see about integrating
these directly with the components, if possible.
--
sebas