Settings Human Interface Guidelines first draft online

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Jan 1 13:30:01 UTC 2012

On Saturday 31 December 2011 19:48:10 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> - Things that are not technically feasible
Concerning section "Instant Apply", I'm not sure whether I understand it
correctly. The section talks about that there is no apply button and that
changes are applied instantly. I understand this as "I click that checkbox and
instantly the settings are saved and application adjusts itself". But the
further text is about "don't restart app to apply settings". This makes me
wonder if you just care about the fact that you should not have to restart the
application, but when you click "OK" the settings are applied. So that it is
not instant in the sense as only the checkbox was clicked.

If you mean the first one, apply instantly on checkbox clicked, I doubt this
is technically feasible at least for all applications having the configuration
interface in a different application (KCMShell). If you mean the second one I
think all is fine, all KDE application should handle that with a few technical
exceptions.

Cheers
Martin