Some user feedback (mostly about the PA browser)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Apr 17 11:02:25 UTC 2012

On 17.04.2012 12:14, Mario Fux wrote:

> Here the mentioned IRC log:
> [12:46]<unormal>  She tried to use mainly the browser to read some news sites
> (tagesschau.sf.tv and www.telepolis.de)
> [12:47]<unormal>  But first the browser was relatively slow (the website quite
> big) and thus took a while to load.
> [12:48]<unormal>  And then she had problems with zooming and clicking or
> tapping the links.

How did the pinch-to-zoom gesture work for her? I think the image you used
should already contain Marco's patch which greatly improves zooming with the
pinch gesture.

> [12:48]<unormal>  I think the mousearea for links is just the link text and
> thus difficult tap with small fonts. Should probably be bigger.

I assume this won't be easy to do (especially since we'd also have to avoid
collisions between nearby links), but it would surely help. How is e.g. the
Android browser handling this issue?

> [12:50]<unormal>  sebas: Zoom triggered as she couldn't tap the link and tried
> several times.

So if we can make the links easier to hit, this should not happen anymore, either.

> So I will try the mer image in the next days.

Would be great to see how big the difference between the images actually is. I
noticed the painfully slow loading on the Meego images as well.

> And here some additional feedback. PA looks great, I like it!

Glad to hear! :)

> Another idea I had was to use QML news (RSS) thingie. What's the status here?
> It doesn't seem to be ready yet?

I've used it successfully on my device. Does it work at all on yours? And if so,
what's missing?

> Oh and I like the new "file" browser (I still think "file" is not the right
> term as IIRC you want to get rid of the file hierarchy paradigm which IMHO
> goes in the right direction and brings KDE software (together with Nepomuk) in
> a pole position</endOfLongSideTrack>).

Yes, this will definitely be renamed before the PA3 release. It's actually more
of a proof of concept at its current state, since it does not support any
operation other than "open" yet. And it will also support browsing any type of
resource in the future, not just files. So the current name would not make any
sense then, anyway.
Glad that you like our direction of replacing the file hierarchy with semantic data.

> That's it for the moment.

Thank you very much for your feedback! Keep it coming!

> Best regards
> Mario

Best,
Thomas