Some user feedback (mostly about the PA browser)

Mario Fux kde-ml at unormal.org
Tue Apr 17 10:14:22 UTC 2012

Good PA team

Some days ago I installed the following PA meego image on the Intel ExoPC from
BDS:
2012-04-10-10-37-basyskom-plasma-active-testing-meego-usb-live.iso

The reason that my wife wanted to have a device to read the news in the
morning (at mainly the two German websites tagesschau.sf.tv and
www.telepolis.de). So I got some feedback from a new PA user and wanted to
share this with you. I already did it on IRC (see below) and was asked to mail
it to this list as well.

Here the mentioned IRC log:
[12:46] <unormal> She tried to use mainly the browser to read some news sites
(tagesschau.sf.tv and www.telepolis.de)
[12:47] <unormal> But first the browser was relatively slow (the website quite
big) and thus took a while to load.
[12:48] <unormal> And then she had problems with zooming and clicking or
tapping the links.
[12:48] <unormal> I think the mousearea for links is just the link text and
thus difficult tap with small fonts. Should probably be bigger.
[12:49] <unormal> And then she sometimes tapped several times the link (or at
least attempted) and then, when she tapped to fast, it zoomed.
[12:49] <sebas> Hm, zoom should not trigger when links have been tapped
[12:49] <unormal> This are the main annoyances for now. Will post this to the
list as well. And it's about Meego testing image from 10th of April.
[12:50] <ingwa> slow browser is difficult to fix...
[12:50] <sebas> slow loading: not sure what we can do about it, which image is
that?
[12:50] <unormal> sebas: Zoom triggered as she couldn't tap the link and tried
several times.
[12:50] <sebas> the meego images loaded webpages very slow, no idea why
[12:50] <sebas> unormal: "couldn't tap" means?
[12:50] <sebas> (didn't hit, it didn't react, it wasn't there, ... ?)
[12:50] <sebas> "her arms were too short" ;)
[12:50] <unormal> The link text was e.g "Mehr..." and she tried to tap and
didn't hit (nicht getroffen).
[12:52] <sebas> unormal: could you check if with the Mer images or the Balsam
images, page loading is faster?
[12:53] <sebas> I found meego images to be very slow when loading webpages, it
didn't seem a browser problem

So I will try the mer image in the next days.

And here some additional feedback. PA looks great, I like it!

Another idea I had was to use QML news (RSS) thingie. What's the status here?
It doesn't seem to be ready yet?

Oh and I like the new "file" browser (I still think "file" is not the right
term as IIRC you want to get rid of the file hierarchy paradigm which IMHO
goes in the right direction and brings KDE software (together with Nepomuk) in
a pole position </endOfLongSideTrack>).

That's it for the moment.

Best regards
Mario