Some user feedback (mostly about the PA browser)

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 11:16:03 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 17 April 2012, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On 17.04.2012 12:14, Mario Fux wrote:
> > Here the mentioned IRC log:
> > [12:46]<unormal>  She tried to use mainly the browser to read some news
> > sites (tagesschau.sf.tv and www.telepolis.de)
> > [12:47]<unormal>  But first the browser was relatively slow (the website
> > quite big) and thus took a while to load.
> > [12:48]<unormal>  And then she had problems with zooming and clicking or
> > tapping the links.
>
> How did the pinch-to-zoom gesture work for her? I think the image you used
> should already contain Marco's patch which greatly improves zooming with
> the pinch gesture.
>
> > [12:48]<unormal>  I think the mousearea for links is just the link text
> > and thus difficult tap with small fonts. Should probably be bigger.
>
> I assume this won't be easy to do (especially since we'd also have to avoid
> collisions between nearby links), but it would surely help. How is e.g. the
> Android browser handling this issue?
>
> > [12:50]<unormal>  sebas: Zoom triggered as she couldn't tap the link and
> > tried several times.
>
> So if we can make the links easier to hit, this should not happen anymore,
> either.
>
> > So I will try the mer image in the next days.
>
> Would be great to see how big the difference between the images actually
> is. I noticed the painfully slow loading on the Meego images as well.
>
> > And here some additional feedback. PA looks great, I like it!
>
> Glad to hear! :)
>
> > Another idea I had was to use QML news (RSS) thingie. What's the status
> > here? It doesn't seem to be ready yet?
>
> I've used it successfully on my device. Does it work at all on yours? And
> if so, what's missing?
>
> > Oh and I like the new "file" browser (I still think "file" is not the
> > right term as IIRC you want to get rid of the file hierarchy paradigm
> > which IMHO goes in the right direction and brings KDE software (together
> > with Nepomuk) in a pole position</endOfLongSideTrack>).
>
> Yes, this will definitely be renamed before the PA3 release. It's actually
> more of a proof of concept at its current state, since it does not support
> any operation other than "open" yet. And it will also support browsing any
> type of resource in the future, not just files. So the current name would
> not make any sense then, anyway.

supports open, either by an external application or internal viewer if
supported (only an internal viewer for images exists right now, i would like
calligra and the ebook reader getting ported to it)
delete, copy between internal memory and removables, browse by date, by tag
and tagging of resources. as features go, i think it should really be it.

as the name, i'm still on the fence, making it support way different things
like contacts is quite a mine field, risks to become a broken version of an
addressbook or whatever, while it would still need the "real" one at least for
a very long time