default config machinery

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 11:47:41 UTC 2012

On Monday 16 April 2012, Lamarque V. Souza wrote:
> 	As long as the renaming is atomic then yes. Remember the plasma-
> mobile/plasma-device renaming? It is still half made and causes
> inconsistency. Is it possible to rename a repo without recreating it? I
> can use that in another project if it is simple.
>
> 	Is there are need for that repo now? Shouldn't its contents be part of
> plasma-mobile-config and plasma-contour-config deleted?

is using the plasma-mobile-config git repo, just maintained the old package
name for now

> > * plasma-contour-config also provides the startactive-modules package
> > (would go away from the startactive package, would make sense to not
> > provide any module in the startactive repo?)
>
> 	If you remove the configuration from the startactive repo add a
> readme.txt indicating where to look for the configuration files. More and
> more people are trying to build Plasma Active packages by theirselves and
> having software in one repo/package and their configuration in other
> repo/package make things a bit more complicated to get up and running.
> Sometimes you think the software is not working but it just lacks the
> configuration because nowhere in the repo indicates how to configure them
> properly.

yeah, i'm not sure what is the best way to go here: keeping in the startactive
repo (so branching that if needed) or move everything

> > * contour-intro only contains demo data (images, video)
> >
> > * the package kde-skel-binary has the nepomuk database dump, the idea is
> > to import it with the /etc/skel mechanism
>
> 	Why the binary suffix? I know the database is a binary file, but what
> adds to the fact the package contains the skeleton of an user account?

the idea was to separate if will be needed one with text config files as well,
but since we may get away to use global config files for everything default it
may be not necessary so -binary may be dropped