default config machinery

Lamarque V. Souza Lamarque.Souza.ext at basyskom.com
Mon Apr 16 11:37:16 UTC 2012

Em Monday 16 April 2012, Marco Martin escreveu:
> Hi all,

	Hi,

> we now have a plasma-mobile-config git repo (where different devices would
> be different branches) that has also the startactive modules, since they
> may be device dependent as well.
>
> to use it, i've attempted the following:
> * did a branch of the devel repo in my home
>
> https://build.pub.meego.com/project/packages?project=home%3Amart%3Abranche
> s%3AProject%3AKDE%3ADevel
>
> * it has plasma-contour-config using the new git repo (maybe a rename is
> worth?)

	As long as the renaming is atomic then yes. Remember the plasma-
mobile/plasma-device renaming? It is still half made and causes inconsistency.
Is it possible to rename a repo without recreating it? I can use that in
another project if it is simple.

	Is there are need for that repo now? Shouldn't its contents be part of
plasma-mobile-config and plasma-contour-config deleted?

> * plasma-contour-config also provides the startactive-modules package
> (would go away from the startactive package, would make sense to not
> provide any module in the startactive repo?)

	If you remove the configuration from the startactive repo add a
readme.txt indicating where to look for the configuration files. More and more
people are trying to build Plasma Active packages by theirselves and having
software in one repo/package and their configuration in other repo/package
make things a bit more complicated to get up and running. Sometimes you think
the software is not working but it just lacks the configuration because
nowhere in the repo indicates how to configure them properly.

> * contour-intro only contains demo data (images, video)
>
> * the package kde-skel-binary has the nepomuk database dump, the idea is to
> import it with the /etc/skel mechanism

	Why the binary suffix? I know the database is a binary file, but what
adds to the fact the package contains the skeleton of an user account?

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.basyskom.com/