[plasma-mobile] config: Refine app blacklist

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Sep 27 09:36:19 UTC 2011

 On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:09:50 +0200, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 September 2011 03:45:46 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
>> Git commit 4f8a976e085d9d532af0ef0406085c4a27adb57d by Sebastian
>> Kügler.
>> Committed on 27/09/2011 at 03:40.
>> Pushed by sebas into branch 'master'.
>>
>> Refine app blacklist
>>
>> With this blacklist, only 18 apps are shown in my launcher. This
>> might
>> vary for others.
>>
>> If you're missing an application in this list, please let me know,
>> preferably the name of the .desktop file, to be found under
>> /usr/share/applications/
>
> I went thru the list apps (not actually testing the blacklist) and
> have the
> following comments:
>
> Games that works great in prioritized order that I would like to see
> them:
> kpat
> kmahjongg
> kreversi
> kshisen
> killbots
>
> Games that almost works   great.
> kmines - has some issues but is great for kmines masters like me
> bovo - depending on fat fingers correction unit you have
> ksquares - depending on FFC-unit
> klickety - also depending on FFC
>
> A couple of nice system tools, maybe just for people like me:
> kpackagekit - probably mostly for geeks ?
> konsole - probably mostly for geeks
> systemsettings
>
> Is this 'kontact touch' ? why black list them?
> kaddressbook-mobile
> korganizer-mobile
> kmail-mobile
>
> calligramobile - currently seems a bit better for some things than
> c-active
>
> /Sune

 I agree with Sune here. Many entries here seemed to me like "we want
 nothing that was not specifically
 designed for Active". Of course in the end we want the system to be
 populated with Active apps only,
 but until then I think for many cases traditional apps that work okay
 with touch would be better than
 nothing.
 Konsole seems to be especially strange to me. Haven't we all been using
 Konsole all the time? Yes,
 it is a tool for advanced users, but it is often the only help when
 something goes wrong. And since
 I foresee that most users especially for PA1 will be geeks, they will
 miss Konsole a lot.
 Or is there another terminal app still available that's better suited
 than Konsole?

 Gwenview is another example Sure it is not nice to have two apps for
 the same purpose, but Gwenview has
 some pretty useful features that Images still lacks, like rotating or
 slideshow. The usecase
 "show fotos directly imported from a camera on my tablet in a pub"
 depends on Gwenview for rotating images
 and discarding those that are totally failed. Yes, it would be better
 if Images already could do those
 things, but what's the problem with having one basic app for the most
 common things and another one for
 advanced stuff until Images can do all things that might be useful on a
 tablet?

 Is only the desktop version of marble blacklisted and the mobile one
 still available? Marble has been added
 to the meego images specifically recently and is even
 multitouch-enabled, so I guess basyskom would be pretty
 sad if it got blacklisted ;) But if the one on the meego image is the
 mobile version and it is not blacklisted,
 everything is okay there.

 The plasmoids blacklist seemed even more strange to me as it seems to
 contain pretty much every plasmoid ever,
 even though I think many are very useful on the tablet (like the
 calculator for example, or the clocks, or
 even system monitors).
 And I have tried many plasmoids on my tablet and have not found a
 single one which worked badly there yet. Of
 course things like Konqueror sessions are useless, but I think many on
 the blacklist are not.

 Regards,
 Thomas