[plasma-mobile] config: Refine app blacklist

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Sep 27 10:10:38 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:36:19 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
>  On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:09:50 +0200, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 September 2011 03:45:46 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> >> Git commit 4f8a976e085d9d532af0ef0406085c4a27adb57d by Sebastian
> >> Kügler.
> >> Committed on 27/09/2011 at 03:40.
> >> Pushed by sebas into branch 'master'.
> >>
> >> Refine app blacklist
> >>
> >> With this blacklist, only 18 apps are shown in my launcher. This
> >> might
> >> vary for others.
> >>
> >> If you're missing an application in this list, please let me know,
> >> preferably the name of the .desktop file, to be found under
> >> /usr/share/applications/
> >
> > I went thru the list apps (not actually testing the blacklist) and
> > have the
> > following comments:
> >
> > Games that works great in prioritized order that I would like to see
> > them:
> > kpat
> > kmahjongg
> > kreversi
> > kshisen
> > killbots

Agree.

> > Games that almost works   great.
> > kmines - has some issues but is great for kmines masters like me

no-go, marking fields as mines requires RMB.

> > bovo - depending on fat fingers correction unit you have
> > ksquares - depending on FFC-unit
> > klickety - also depending on FFC
> >
> > A couple of nice system tools, maybe just for people like me:
> > kpackagekit - probably mostly for geeks ?

Decided against during sprint.

> > konsole - probably mostly for geeks

Oversight, see below.

> > systemsettings

Decided against during the sprint.

> > Is this 'kontact touch' ? why black list them?
> > kaddressbook-mobile
> > korganizer-mobile
> > kmail-mobile

Hm, for me the necessary parts of Kontact Touch are shown, I'll check again.

> > calligramobile - currently seems a bit better for some things than
> > c-active

We're shipping Calligra Active as beta version, that's what we talked about
with the Calligra developers, and it's what makes sense.

>  I agree with Sune here. Many entries here seemed to me like "we want
>  nothing that was not specifically
>  designed for Active". Of course in the end we want the system to be
>  populated with Active apps only,
>  but until then I think for many cases traditional apps that work okay
>  with touch would be better than
>  nothing.

We also want to highlight apps that work really well, not just so-so. The
blacklist is not just about removing completely broken apps, it's also about
putting really good apps in the spotlight.

As such, I've chosen to only include a few apps, to make reviewers' lives
easier. Better have a few that really shine than too many and the good ones
get lost among mediocre apps.

>  Konsole seems to be especially strange to me. Haven't we all been using
>  Konsole all the time? Yes,
>  it is a tool for advanced users, but it is often the only help when
>  something goes wrong. And since
>  I foresee that most users especially for PA1 will be geeks, they will
>  miss Konsole a lot.
>  Or is there another terminal app still available that's better suited
>  than Konsole?

konsole was added back in the next commit, a few seconds later.

>  Gwenview is another example Sure it is not nice to have two apps for
>  the same purpose, but Gwenview has
>  some pretty useful features that Images still lacks, like rotating or
>  slideshow. The usecase
>  "show fotos directly imported from a camera on my tablet in a pub"
>  depends on Gwenview for rotating images

We decided to focus on this use case for PA2.

>  and discarding those that are totally failed. Yes, it would be better
>  if Images already could do those
>  things, but what's the problem with having one basic app for the most
>  common things and another one for
>  advanced stuff until Images can do all things that might be useful on a
>  tablet?

The Image viewer is pretty good already, I'd rather not introduce a duplicate
app at this point, rotating and the other things gwenview adds are just not
that critical right now.

>  Is only the desktop version of marble blacklisted and the mobile one
>  still available? Marble has been added
>  to the meego images specifically recently and is even
>  multitouch-enabled, so I guess basyskom would be pretty
>  sad if it got blacklisted ;) But if the one on the meego image is the
>  mobile version and it is not blacklisted,
>  everything is okay there.

Seems an oversight from me, that's why I sent this email.

>  The plasmoids blacklist seemed even more strange to me as it seems to
>  contain pretty much every plasmoid ever,
>  even though I think many are very useful on the tablet (like the
>  calculator for example, or the clocks, or
>  even system monitors).
>  And I have tried many plasmoids on my tablet and have not found a
>  single one which worked badly there yet. Of
>  course things like Konqueror sessions are useless, but I think many on
>  the blacklist are not.

I haven't gone through the plasmoid blacklist, so the one in there is totally
random.

Note that these blacklist is not entirely static, it's rather easy for power
users to change it (just copy it into your ~/.kde4/share/config/ and edit
away, the next plasma-device restart will show the results).
--
sebas