Shutdown-Options

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Sep 26 12:52:31 UTC 2011

On Monday, September 26, 2011 11:37:45 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
>  The force-power-off on long press is unassailable, I guess (and I don't
>  know if it can be changed
>  anyway, since it seems to be a hardware function, right?).

correct

>  So what should happen on short press? Going to suspend (to ram) as
>  Aaron suggested seems to make sense.
>  Though on the other hand, e.g. the n900 shows shutdown options when the
>  power button is pressed and
>  this seems useful too (but then again, the n900 also has a designated
>  suspend/resume button).

it's probably useful to look at what other devices other than the n900, which
nearly no one has and which is not the most usable device out there. if others
can weigh in on what the devices they own do, that'd be great.

connecting a "options" interface to a hardware button would be nice, as it
would allow us to offer various things such as locking the screen or going
into offline mode quickly.

we do not have the time to do such a thing for PA1. so it's not something we
can consider for that release.

collecting all the things that such a "inteface pulled up when a magic button
is pressed" could contain would be the first step. designing how it (and the
rest of the screen) should then look and where it should appear would be the
next step. implementing it would be the final result.

this is something we could take up for PA2 or PA3 (depending on how full the
PA2 schedule gets following the release of PA1)

>  I don't think adding the lock/logout plasmoid to an activity or the
>  widget strip is the solution,

agreed

>  I don't think shutting down or rebooting is an entirely "geeky" thing
>  to do, since especially most
>  "regular users" I know always shut their desktops or laptops down when
>  they don't use it as they're
>  still suspicious towards suspend or hibernate.

this is not a good reason, imho, to force ourselves into adding such options
on devices we know do just fine.

>  Most users are used to their mobile device going
>  into suspend automatically after a while, but I'm pretty sure many will
>  miss shutdown or reboot if it is not easily accessible.

i think we'll have to live with that at least for PA1, however.

power user tip: you can type "shudown", "reboot", "hibernate" or "sleep" into
the launcher to access these functions.

humru othro a kohnu se