Shutdown-Options

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Mon Sep 26 13:25:06 UTC 2011

 On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:52:31 +0200, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> it's probably useful to look at what other devices other than the
> n900, which
> nearly no one has and which is not the most usable device out there.
> if others
> can weigh in on what the devices they own do, that'd be great.

 +1. I know there are at least some Android users among us ;)

> connecting a "options" interface to a hardware button would be nice,
> as it
> would allow us to offer various things such as locking the screen or
> going
> into offline mode quickly.
>
> we do not have the time to do such a thing for PA1. so it's not
> something we
> can consider for that release.
>
> collecting all the things that such a "inteface pulled up when a
> magic button
> is pressed" could contain would be the first step. designing how it
> (and the
> rest of the screen) should then look and where it should appear would
> be the
> next step. implementing it would be the final result.
>
> this is something we could take up for PA2 or PA3 (depending on how
> full the
> PA2 schedule gets following the release of PA1)

 Yes, absolutely.

>>  I don't think shutting down or rebooting is an entirely "geeky"
>> thing
>>  to do, since especially most
>>  "regular users" I know always shut their desktops or laptops down
>> when
>>  they don't use it as they're
>>  still suspicious towards suspend or hibernate.
>
> this is not a good reason, imho, to force ourselves into adding such
> options
> on devices we know do just fine.

 Okay, so skip the shutdown, but at least hibernate should be accessible
 because
 suspend won't help if someone plans to leave their device untouched for
 a few days
 or even weeks.
 So are we suggesting to use the menu from the battery icon as the
 default method
 to hibernate? This does work, sure, but it isn't necessarily the place
 users will
 look for that option, so we'd probably need to show them at some point.

>>  Most users are used to their mobile device going
>>  into suspend automatically after a while, but I'm pretty sure many
>> will
>>  miss shutdown or reboot if it is not easily accessible.
>
> i think we'll have to live with that at least for PA1, however.

 Hmm... so why is the traditional logout dialog so bad anyway? It is not
 QML, sure,
 but the buttons are big enough to hit with the finger and there seems
 to be no
 problematic function in there. And it did not even feel strange to me
 when it
 popped up (when pressing the button a second time after my Wetab
 recovered from
 the freeze ;) ).
 So to me, using that until we come up with a proper interface as
 described by you
 above would also be a valid option.
 But just doing suspend is okay with me as well, because that of course
 is probably
 the thing most users will want to do.

> power user tip: you can type "shudown", "reboot", "hibernate" or
> "sleep" into
> the launcher to access these functions.

 Oh, nice. I must admit I didn't know the launcher had krunner
 capabilities :)
 Truly only for power users, but nice to know.