Copy and Paste between Apps

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 18:34:43 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 25 September 2011 09:55:11 Carl Symons wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 6:06 AM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org>
> wrote:

>> > They are not very nice, that's true. On the other hand we already use
>> > them for resources on an activity, so our users have to be able to use
>> > them anyway. Plus, copy & paste is not really such a regular usecase
>> > for a mobile device.
>> >
>> > But using Klipper for this sounds like good idea to me as well, so I'm
>> > personally still undecided ;)
>>
>> Every Android or iPad user I've seen in action uses C&P. One guy works
>> on servers and uses it a lot. Much easier and more accurate than
>> typing entire commands. Another person doing research copies web
>> snippets and pastes them into some text app.
>>
>> The Plasma issue is complicated by not having multi-touch yet. Not
>> having a middle mouse button would be a drag.
>
> So how exactly does Android do it using multitouch?
> It's not like "Plasma does not have multitouch yet", generally. Plasma on
> Meego actually does have multitouch. But we won't be able to get anything new
> working for the initial release anyway. And since sebas is already working on
> getting multitouch to work on openSUSE, we hopefully can use multitouch in
> general for the next release.
> We cannot rely on multitouch as the _only_ option, though (and so can't
> Android, since you can't be sure every device running Android has multitouch
> capability). So it is okay to use multitouch as the primary means for C&P, but
> there has to be an alternative for single-touch devices.

I've been showing and using openSuSE/Plasma Active/Contour, not Meego.
I misspoke. In addition, the people I've been showing the tablet to
are mostly Linux users. Running a known Linux distribution on a tablet
seems to be a big part of the appeal.

The multitouch action I've seen most frequently associated with
cut&paste is separating two fingers to zoom in. That makes it easier
to select precisely. However, I haven't given much attention to this;
I wasn't very interested until PlasmaActive showed up. According to
the the propagandists I listen to..."there hasn't been an Android
suitable for tablets until Honeycomb and that is not really FOSS. Wait
a week or two until a real tablet is available"...from the guy who
SSHs for server work from the coffee shop.

I agree with single touch. I think that "long touch" is single touch,
not multi-touch. Long touch is what I've seen in operation.