Copy and Paste between Apps

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun Sep 25 17:29:27 UTC 2011

On Sunday 25 September 2011 09:55:11 Carl Symons wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 6:06 AM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org>
wrote:
> > On Sunday 25 September 2011 13:49:44 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> >> It's probably too late for PA1, but I could imagine to have Klipper
> >> being that part. It is already a button in the panel and would just
> >> need a touch friendly UI to allow copy an item to the currently
> >> active UI element.
> >>
> >> I would not like to have a context menu as they are terrible on touch
> >> ;-)>
> > They are not very nice, that's true. On the other hand we already use
> > them for resources on an activity, so our users have to be able to use
> > them anyway. Plus, copy & paste is not really such a regular usecase
> > for a mobile device.
> >
> > But using Klipper for this sounds like good idea to me as well, so I'm
> > personally still undecided ;)
>
> Every Android or iPad user I've seen in action uses C&P. One guy works
> on servers and uses it a lot. Much easier and more accurate than
> typing entire commands. Another person doing research copies web
> snippets and pastes them into some text app.
>
> The Plasma issue is complicated by not having multi-touch yet. Not
> having a middle mouse button would be a drag.

So how exactly does Android do it using multitouch?
It's not like "Plasma does not have multitouch yet", generally. Plasma on
Meego actually does have multitouch. But we won't be able to get anything new
working for the initial release anyway. And since sebas is already working on
getting multitouch to work on openSUSE, we hopefully can use multitouch in
general for the next release.
We cannot rely on multitouch as the _only_ option, though (and so can't
Android, since you can't be sure every device running Android has multitouch
capability). So it is okay to use multitouch as the primary means for C&P, but
there has to be an alternative for single-touch devices.