merging declarative plasmoids

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 08:34:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 1:04 AM, Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas
<terietor at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 September 2011 14:54, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> on the topic of merging, another thing that i would like to see merged
>> asap,
>
> i can make the merge if you are ok with that.

for the battery and device notifier yes, but depends from an
uncommitted patch by Aaron that should go in before: (see Opinion on
config dialog for QML plasmoids)
that lets qml plasmoids include systemsettings kcms in their config dialog.

> On 11 September 2011 15:33, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Have all the c++ parts, like dataengine changes, already been merged
>> from this?
>
> As i am aware of the particular branch doesn't have any c++ code.But there

both applets branches do have c++ patches to their dataengines (extra
data/services to make possible to do 100% of the c++ applet just with
the dataengine)

> is some relevant code in the kde-runtime reporitory at the
> "plasma/viranch/qml-menu" branch.
> I can also merge that.
> I think that we have to start a thread about all these branches because in
> the near future there will be mess.

or at least just list them and see all the ones that can be killed

> On 11 September 2011 15:33, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It would also make it easier
>> for people to start writing third-party QML widgets.  Then, merge the
>> widgets that are essentially done as you suggest.
>

> I have some doubts about that.
> Does the existing qml code satisfy all the possibilities which the c++
> plasmoids had?
> For instance,the Plasma::Applet provides the possibility to reimplement the
> KConfigDialog of a particular plasmoid.Does qml do the same?

still not :/

for more complex things, it will still be necessary to have a c++
applet that has only a Plasma::DeclarativeWidget and loads its ui in
it, but still with c++ parts.
and i think it's fine, since we want to not offer too many potentially
dangerous operations in purely scripted applets.

now, the config dialog is definitely something that should be
implementable in qml.
It would be not so great style wise, but functional, and if the
desktop qtcomponents will be released also the style issue could be
solved