slightly modified keyboard layout including arrow keys.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 8 11:38:38 UTC 2011

On Thursday, September 8, 2011 13:31:31 Sune Vuorela wrote:
> I agree that it is a problem, but accepting duplicate keys for some layouts,

except that is looks unprofessional and sucks for usage. the logic of the keys
is confusing, the ease of having like-keys together is lost .. so while it may
be the easy solution, it isn't one we can should accept.

supporting localized layouts and switching between them when the localized
keyboard changes is perhaps a good way forward?

it would mean:

* allowing things like tablet-de.xml .. or having a mapping somewhere that
maps "de", "ch", "fr", etc. to different layouts (to share xml layouts between
similar-enough locales)

* when there is a localized layout, just obey the layout as published by x11
100% (as it currently does)

that would mean no changs for the desktop layout, for instance, while allowing
us to ship multiple tablet / mobile layouts. switching between layouts is
already well supported (i added a dbus api for this to the keyboard container
recently in fact :), so all that's needed is the localization mapping and
checking that when the keyboard locale changes.

humru othro a kohnu se