getting images together for 1.0

Robby Engelmann robby.engelmann at igfs-ev.de
Thu Sep 1 19:55:57 UTC 2011

On Thursday 01 September 2011 20:54:33 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday, September 1, 2011 19:48:06 Robby Engelmann wrote:
> > I am using plasma-active (OpenSuse version) since its very beginning on
> > wetab and I have followed the dev advances over time, the improvements
> > in
> > the Activity Switcher, the recent addition of SLC and Recommendations.
> :
> :)
> :
> > -the possibility to switch to portrait format (to look at fotos or read
> > texts). I tried my luck with KRandR, but I got kind of crashes (don't
> > remember what parts exactly) and the rest was not usable.
>
> i don't think we'll get this sorted for Plasma Active One; there was some
> work towards this, and we may yet get things more sorted out by then ...
> but i wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't happen before Plasma Active
> Two.
Ok, good to know. I use KDE since 4.1 or .2, so I am kind of used to wait for
some functionality :-). But finally everything turned out quite well :-).
New stuff step by step is fine, since then I have time to validate new
concepts and integrate them into my workflows, if they turned out to be
helpful in optimizing work. hmm-many new features were helpful ;-)
Everytime when I have to use windows, it drives me crazy; so I know what you
all built with and around KDE.

> > -the keyboard needs some arrow keys, especially for konsole work or to
> > correct mistapped lettres during writing.
> > -again the keyboard: These days I visit a congress in Munich.
> > Unfortunately, most of the talks are in german. Thus I would need
> > german locals for the keyboard. This does not work consistently.
> > -is there already a smooth way for copy&paste ?
>
> these are all on our todo list already:
>
> http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Tasks#On_Screen_Keyboard
Thanx, I was not aware of that page.

> > -sometimes the various buttons react a bit sluggish and I have to tap
> > more than one time.
>
> i'm finding this to be less of an issue over time; i'm not sure if its just
> because of some of the improvement we've been making (there have been a
> number of improvements in the last couple days and weeks for these kinds of
> issues) or if i'm just getting used to the interaction more and
> self-correcting for the annoyances.
I feel the sluggishness varies a bit from update to update :-)

> > 2. For applications:
> > -most important for me would be the text work. Thus Calligra Words for
> > every kind of notes and Kate to modify my R scripts for statistics and
> > graphs. In these apps the on-screen keyboard does not appear for me. In
> > Calligra Words I always tap in the field for the font name to trigger
> > the keyboard. In Kate I didnt find a way to trigger it.
>
> that's because both of these products, while they have text areas, do not
> trigger the keyboard. i already fixed konsole, i may as well do so for kate
> and calligra words too? :)
Definetively, that would remove a big source of annoyance.

> > -Up to now, I do not understand the bookmarks system. There is an
> > akonadi
> > ressource, but I do not find the bookmarks after I added one there
>
> there is a web dashboard; it used to be something you could add to the list
> of home screens / activities, but when we simplified to just having Contour
> containments, this got obscured.
>
> we have a plan for how to bring this back (as a sort of app in a window, and
> also viewable from within the active browser) .. but for now it's a bit
> opaque, yes.
>
> thanks for the feedback .. and if you ever feel like getting your hands
> dirty, just let us know; the todo lists are long ;)
I will study the list from time to time and everytime I feel it gets too short
I will let you know ;-)