getting images together for 1.0

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 1 18:54:33 UTC 2011

On Thursday, September 1, 2011 19:48:06 Robby Engelmann wrote:
> I am using plasma-active (OpenSuse version) since its very beginning on a
> wetab and I have followed the dev advances over time, the improvements in
> the Activity Switcher, the recent addition of SLC and Recommendations.

:)

> -the possibility to switch to portrait format (to look at fotos or read
> texts). I tried my luck with KRandR, but I got kind of crashes (don't
> remember what parts exactly) and the rest was not usable.

i don't think we'll get this sorted for Plasma Active One; there was some work
towards this, and we may yet get things more sorted out by then ... but i
wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't happen before Plasma Active Two.

> -the keyboard needs some arrow keys, especially for konsole work or to
> correct mistapped lettres during writing.
> -again the keyboard: These days I visit a congress in Munich. Unfortunately,
> most of the talks are in german. Thus I would need german locals for the
> keyboard. This does not work consistently.
> -is there already a smooth way for copy&paste ?

these are all on our todo list already:

http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Tasks#On_Screen_Keyboard

> -sometimes the various buttons react a bit sluggish and I have to tap more
> than one time.

i'm finding this to be less of an issue over time; i'm not sure if its just
because of some of the improvement we've been making (there have been a number
of improvements in the last couple days and weeks for these kinds of issues)
or if i'm just getting used to the interaction more and self-correcting for
the annoyances.

> 2. For applications:
> -most important for me would be the text work. Thus Calligra Words for every
> kind of notes and Kate to modify my R scripts for statistics and graphs. In
> these apps the on-screen keyboard does not appear for me. In Calligra Words
> I always tap in the field for the font name to trigger the keyboard. In
> Kate I didnt find a way to trigger it.

that's because both of these products, while they have text areas, do not
trigger the keyboard. i already fixed konsole, i may as well do so for kate
and calligra words too? :)

> -Up to now, I do not understand the bookmarks system. There is an akonadi
> ressource, but I do not find the bookmarks after I added one there

there is a web dashboard; it used to be something you could add to the list of
home screens / activities, but when we simplified to just having Contour
containments, this got obscured.

we have a plan for how to bring this back (as a sort of app in a window, and
also viewable from within the active browser) .. but for now it's a bit
opaque, yes.

thanks for the feedback .. and if you ever feel like getting your hands dirty,
just let us know; the todo lists are long ;)

humru othro a kohnu se