getting images together for 1.0

Robby Engelmann robby.engelmann at igfs-ev.de
Thu Sep 1 17:48:06 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I am using plasma-active (OpenSuse version) since its very beginning on a
wetab and I have followed the dev advances over time, the improvements in the
Activity Switcher, the recent addition of SLC and Recommendations. Really a
great work of you all, developers and UI designers!

I regularly follow the mailing list and now I saw this discussion on features
etc. In my opinion, the general UI is well usable for my. I knew about
activities from my Kubuntu desktop and use them quite heavily :-).

Here, I wanted to write down some areas, where I would love to see more
advances:

1. General UI:
-the possibility to switch to portrait format (to look at fotos or read
texts). I tried my luck with KRandR, but I got kind of crashes (don't remember
what parts exactly) and the rest was not usable.

-the keyboard needs some arrow keys, especially for konsole work or to correct
mistapped lettres during writing.

-again the keyboard: These days I visit a congress in Munich. Unfortunately,
most of the talks are in german. Thus I would need german locals for the
keyboard. This does not work consistently.

-sometimes the various buttons react a bit sluggish and I have to tap more
than one time.

-is there already a smooth way for copy&paste ?

2. For applications:
-most important for me would be the text work. Thus Calligra Words for every
kind of notes and Kate to modify my R scripts for statistics and graphs. In
these apps the on-screen keyboard does not appear for me. In Calligra Words I
always tap in the field for the font name to trigger the keyboard. In Kate I
didnt find a way to trigger it.

-For Groupware I use the normal desktop Kontact suite as the mobile variant is
kind of too rudimentary for me. But the desktop variant is not very annoying
:-)

-Up to now, I do not understand the bookmarks system. There is an akonadi
ressource, but I do not find the bookmarks after I added one there

To not missunderstand me: I love the plasma-active initiative. Somewhere, I
read a blog post on tablets, saying that all products on the market only are
usable for playing around. I hope plasma-active can fill the hole as a system
to perform ones work stuff on a tablet (or a smartphone, or a car
entertainment system :-D )

Go on!