RFC: remove resources feature is missing

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 14:40:37 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 5:22 AM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org> wrote:
>> here there are 2 things: unconnectiong a resource from an activity and
> this
>> is
>> possible already trough the context menu
>
> Well this seems to be more of a usability problem to me. We have removed
> the "Add to current activity" / "Disconnect from current activity" (don't
> remember
> the exact wording) menu items in favor of the more general activity list
> so
> users can directly add to or remove from any activity, but it seems that
> this
> does not work intuitively for adding to / removing from the current
> activity.

Removing resources from Activities is not intuitively obvious. Adding
to an Activity works fine with the + button (Although some of the
people who jump right in mistake that sequence for an app launcher).
Removing is not clear. In fact, I was not aware that there was a
remove function before reading this message. Now it seems obvious.

I'm not sure that this calls for a separate solution. There are
several fundamental differences in Plasma Active and Contour relative
to the way everybody else does things. And relative to the way things
are done on a conventional desktop--getting a context menu, top-right
Contour button for ShowActivity, Activities/ActivityCarousel,
Recommendations, Share-Like-Connect. An orientation primer seems to be
in order (maybe under the "About" button).

The only consideration is that I've encountered several people who
already know about tablets, and how they work. They jump right in and
start poking stuff, doing the finger dance. No hesitation for "What
does this do?". The interface needs to address the possibility that
they do stupid in their impetuosity. (Example...one such know-it-all
"launched" KNotes onto my main activity. So I had KNotes where I don't
want it. And no apparent way to get rid of it. I hacked some rc to get
it gone. Oh, and the person complained because Knotes wasn't working.)

It's beautiful and gets better all the time. Thank you for all that
you're doing. Except for a couple of people, everyone I've shown my
tablet wants one like it. They are willing to wait. It's good.

Carl