RFC: Adjust the visual display of the categories in the "add resource window"

Fania Bremmer fania.bremmer at basyskom.de
Fri Oct 28 08:29:23 UTC 2011

Am 27.10.2011 18:48, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Thursday, October 27, 2011 17:42:08 Fania Bremmer wrote:
>> ** Reason For Change **
>> People dont understand the icons in the Add resource window.
>>
>> We already had a discussion about this subject some weeks ago, see mails
>> with the subject: "UI Design - add resource window more gesture
>> oriented" from 13.09.2011
> i'm not sure what you mean precisely here ... do you mean that people didn't
> figure out how to add items once in, say, the Apps cateogry? or they didn't
> understand the "Apps, Bookmarks, Contacts, Documents, Images, Widgets" buttons
> themselves? what, exactly, did people not understand?
They saw the icons and didnt know what kind of element this is...
normally we use icons to indicate a file, a document, a resource in
general. So a single element. Here we use it as a general category. This
breaks with the rest of the pattern used in Plasma Active.
So we need to visually distinguish between normal resources with icons,
which work well already, and therefore adapt those categories optically
into more button-like elements.
Or, as I suggested in the other mails from september something like a
dropdown (I know dropdows are ugly for touch, but what else is there
instead?).

> one issue to consider (that's already come up earlier today, in fact) is
> scalability. whatever UI is offered, it needs to scale to people having
> 100s/1000s of photos, lots of documents, etc.
Yes sure, even with the small screensize we have... so chunking up in
pages in always one solution. Offering smart filter and search mechanism
another one. Using our knowledge about the users current activity and
latest added content, we can also take this into account, as Thomas
pointed out yesterday.