RFC: Adjust the visual display of the categories in the "add resource window"

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Oct 28 08:41:52 UTC 2011

On Friday, October 28, 2011 10:29:23 Fania Bremmer wrote:
> They saw the icons and didnt know what kind of element this is...
> normally we use icons to indicate a file, a document, a resource in
> general. So a single element. Here we use it as a general category. This
> breaks with the rest of the pattern used in Plasma Active.

aha, thanks for the added explanation, it's all clear now :))

> So we need to visually distinguish between normal resources with icons,

i wonder if using a group metaphor in the icons themselves would help. i'm
tempted to suggest a folder icon as that is well known, but perhaps that is
tied too strongly in people's minds to traditional file system approaches.

is there another icon metaphor for "grouping of"? i personally can't think of
one other than "folder" (other than the very geeky "disk" icon which doesn't
really apply here)

if we can avoid using actual buttons, that'd be great as visually they'd stand
out awkwardly ... a drop down doesn indeed suck on touch ...

<brainstorming>

tabs are slightly better, though that would be a significant change from the
current UI. if the tabs were integrated visually with the top of the window
(so the 'window itself' was tabbed) it could look nice.

putting the group icons in a list (flickable if needed) at the top and
visually separated (using a similar visual separation as we use between peek
and launch? though not as definite, as they aren't completely independent as
peek and launch are) might scream "these are categories" a bit more... (mac os
uses something similar for, e.g., the system settings window)

</brainstorming>

sounds like time for some mockups? :)

(speaking of mac, note that the original mac had this same problem as the
folder was not an immediately recognizable metaphor on a computer screen at
the time, despite being modeled after the real-world analog of file folders in
vertical filing cabinets ...)

humru othro a kohnu se