RFC: replace the current Contour Icon in the upper corner through a proper icon

Anton Kreuzkamp akreuzkamp at web.de
Thu Oct 27 19:17:08 UTC 2011

On Thursday 27 October 2011 18:33:06 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday, October 27, 2011 17:14:06 Fania Bremmer wrote:
> > ** Proposed Change **
> > Replace the current Contour Icon in the upper corner through a proper
> > icon that indicates "Homescreen", "Current Activity"...
> >
> > ** Reason For Change **
> > Not one user pressed this icon himself. After seeing what it means,
> > So, we need a better icon and maybe a new positioning on the screen, the
> > feature itself is phantastic and need.
> >
> > ** Implementation Details **
> > - create a new icon
>
> this will be challenging, because it needs to represent what is already an
> new absract concept. this is a graphic design issue: you can't create an
> understandable abstract representation for something someone doesn't
> already know of, by definition. the abstraction relies on the person to
> make a connection to something they know. in the case of activities .. i
> don't know what that would be. :)
>
> we should use the iconography with more consistancy, however. right now we
> use the contour logo on the recommendations tab and to go to the activity
> view. however, the activity switcher has a "three overlaping rectangles"
> icon (or as i like to think of it: a sideways, non-round micky mouse ;).
>
> it may make sense to use the same icon, or at least se icons that visually
> relate to each other, both for "go to activity view" as well as for the
> activity switcher since they both represent things about Activities.
>
> right now, the "go to activity screen" and recommendations panel look more
> visually associated (they use the same icon) which makes sense from our
> technical POV but is very odd from a user POV :)

I must say, an activity-related icon would mean to me "Go to my Activity". But
that's wrong. The current window belongs to the activity as well, doesn't it?
So, what the icon has to say is "Go to my Activity's Homescreen" and the best
icon for it is imho the house-icon. Even if this one says "Go to the
Homescreen" but I think it's quite obvious that it means the current
Activity's homescreen.

Just my two cents.