RFC: replace the current Contour Icon in the upper corner through a proper icon

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 27 16:33:06 UTC 2011

On Thursday, October 27, 2011 17:14:06 Fania Bremmer wrote:
> ** Proposed Change **
> Replace the current Contour Icon in the upper corner through a proper
> icon that indicates "Homescreen", "Current Activity"...
>
> ** Reason For Change **
> Not one user pressed this icon himself. After seeing what it means,
> So, we need a better icon and maybe a new positioning on the screen, the
> feature itself is phantastic and need.
>
> ** Implementation Details **
> - create a new icon

this will be challenging, because it needs to represent what is already an new
absract concept. this is a graphic design issue: you can't create an
understandable abstract representation for something someone doesn't already
know of, by definition. the abstraction relies on the person to make a
connection to something they know. in the case of activities .. i don't know
what that would be. :)

we should use the iconography with more consistancy, however. right now we use
the contour logo on the recommendations tab and to go to the activity view.
however, the activity switcher has a "three overlaping rectangles" icon (or as
i like to think of it: a sideways, non-round micky mouse ;).

it may make sense to use the same icon, or at least se icons that visually
relate to each other, both for "go to activity view" as well as for the
activity switcher since they both represent things about Activities.

right now, the "go to activity screen" and recommendations panel look more
visually associated (they use the same icon) which makes sense from our
technical POV but is very odd from a user POV :)

> every user pressed it to get back to the current activity and it felt
> very intuitiv and in the flow.
> - test where it fits best on the screen, do user testing

it fits nicely visually, it fits nicely contextually with SLC (activity
related stuff) versus the system tray items, and people felt it to be
intuitive and in the flow ... is there really something further to test here?
:)

humru othro a kohnu se